By: Pastor Mosley Ogbanga
1 John 3:1-10 New International Version (NIV)
3 See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him. 2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears,[a] we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. 3 All who have this hope in him purify themselves, just as he is pure.
4 Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5 But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6 No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.
7 Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8 The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work. 9 No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God. 10 This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.
It is true that we received salvation by grace, but then there are certain things in our lives that have to change as children of God (Ephesians 2: 8-10). God chose us before the foundation of the world and established a good relationship with us (Ephesians 1: 4-5, Jeremiah 1:5). He also gave us the free will to be obedient, believe and trust him. But even after he gave us free will, he still wants us to build a relationship with him. Living the Christ-like life entails that Christians believe and Trust in God (John 1:10-13). We have to walk the walk of Christ in holiness and in righteousness. We don’t speak and behave like the people of the world because we have received salvation and therefore have been renewed and transformed and this only happens when we believe and practice what the word of God says or instructs us to do (Romans 12: 1-2) (Matthew 7:22-23). God has instructed us to obey two commandments in order to live as his children which is love God with all of your heart and soul and love your neighbors as yourself.
Four (4) Ways To Live as Children of God
- Be Obedient to the Word
- The Great Commandment (Matthew 22:37:38) 37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’[d] 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’[e] 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
- The Great Commission (Matthew 28:19-20) Go therefore[c] and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
2. Seek the power of the through:
- The Word- (Jeremiah 20:9) Then I said, “I will not make mention of Him,
Nor speak anymore in His name.”
But His word was in my heart like a burning fire
Shut up in my bones;
I was weary of holding it back,
And I could not.
- Praise and Worship – (Psalm 100:4) Enter into His gates with thanksgiving,
And into His courts with praise.
Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
3. Stay away from tempting Situations (The World)-(Proverbs 12:26), (Proverbs 13:20)
4. Seek the help of he Elders in Church- We all don’t have the grace to do everything. Seek counsel from pastors and the elders of the church when you need guidance and help.
- That can hold you accountable
- Teach you
- Pray with you (James 5)
When you choose to live a christian life, God watches over you. Psalm 1: 1-3 and whatever you do, you prosper. God carries you around. Decide to give God your all, Participate in the things of God and dwell fervently in prayer.